Graduate Internship Program



Why Participate

For international graduate students, it is required to participate in the Graduate Internship Program to receive Work Authorization to intern in the U.S. In addition, there are several benefits for all graduate students from participating in the Graduate Internship Program such as 

  • Audit hours are recorded on the official transcript
  • Maintain active student status during your work terms
  • Cancelation of housing without penalty if working 25 miles or more from campus
  • Support from the Career Center during your work terms
Internship Application and Registration Process

To begin your application to participate in the Georgia Tech Graduate Internship Program, please click HERE.

If you choose to take a Georgia Tech course while working, get the permission of your department and internship supervisor before registering. Also, note that the class time must not interfere with your 40-hour work week.

International Students Requirements

International students holding F-1 and J-1 visas are eligible to work legally in the United States under Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and/or Optional Practical Training (OPT), and /or Academic Training.  The Graduate Internship Program at Georgia Tech meets the criteria of both all three.  Students must be in F-1 status for at least two semesters before they are eligible to work off-campus using any of these.

International students participating in the Graduate Internship Program use the CPT work authorization, only, when working with the Career Center. Use of the OPT work authorization must be coordinated through the Office of International Education (OIE). The Career Center also handles Academic Training internships.

OIE staff members assist students with questions regarding maintaining valid F-1 and J-1 status, obtaining social security, and I-20, CPT, and/or OPT process or processing issues.  Career Advsiors are unable to assist, update, or issue CPT, OPT, or I-20 related questions. For more information on OIE or any visa related issues or international student issues, visit their Web site,

CPT and OPT Work Authorizations

Click on the links below to view the steps for obtaining CPT or OPT work authorization, which must be done before each work term. Failure to do so will jeopardize the student’s eligibility to continue working in the United States.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Internship Frequently Asked Questions

If you are interning in metro Atlanta, you may live in campus housing, if available. Students working outside the area will find that most employers offer some level of housing assistance. Such assistance ranges from providing students with a list of apartments in the area to arranging furnished housing and paying for a portion of the expenses. Your employer may give you the names of other interns working in the same location to help you find housing options and roommates.

If you are working outside the Atlanta area, your advisor will give you a form to take to the campus housing office which will allow you to cancel your housing contract without penalty and to get a refund for your housing deposit. If you plan to intern during a given semester but are not sure you will get a job, register for classes and sign up for housing as a back-up plan. All can be easily reversed if you are hired.

Remember to have your mail forwarded if you move for your internship. You can enter your forwarding address via the Oscar website. Login and go to the Personal Information menu. If you currently have an off-campus address, enter your temporary forwarding address with the United States Postal Service.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email