10 weeks minimum (Week Minimums have been reduced due to COVID-19)
GRADUATE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
All Georgia Tech graduate students are eligible and encouraged to register for the Graduate Internship Program.
- Be in good academic standing at the Institutional, and program level
- Have completed one academic semester at the graduate level (BS/MS students are an exception)
- Have at least one semester remaining before graduation
- Internship experience must be related to the program of study and be approved by the graduate program
- Additional Guidelines for International Students:
- F-1 visa holders must complete two semesters (Fall and Spring) before interning at the graduate level.
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders must have work authorization approved by the Office of International Education
Dates and work term requirements:
|Spring 2022||Summer 2022||Fall 2022|
4 pm, January 14, 2022
F-1 students are recommended to submit information by January 7, 2022 4pm.
4 pm, May 20, 2022
F-1 students are recommended to submit information by May 13, 2022 4pm.
4 pm, August 26, 2022
F-1 students are recommended to submit information by August 19, 2022 4pm.
Length of Work Term
|10 weeks minimum (Week Minimums have been reduced due to COVID-19)||
5 week minimum (Week Minimums have been reduced due to COVID-19)
14 weeks minimum (Week Minimums had been reduced due to COVID-19, but will return to normal guidelines as of Fall 2022)
Earliest Start Date
|December 20, 2021||May 9, 2022||August 15, 2022|
Latest End Date*
April 29, 2022 (Students who are graduating Spring semester)
May 6, 2022 (for students who are no graduating during the Spring term)
July 29, 2022 (Students who are graduating in Summer semester)
August 19, 2022 (for students who are no graduating during the Summer term)
December 5, 2022 (Students who are graduating Fall semester)
January 6, 2023 (for students who are no graduating during the Fall term)
|Full-time work||32‒40 hours per week|
For International Students (This is a federal policy and not a Career Center Policy):
6‒20 hours per week (Visa-holders must maintain 12 hours of enrollment during fall and spring semesters)
For US Citizen and Permanent Residents:
6‒31 hours per week
How to Submit a Request to Approve your Graduate Internship for Registration:
- Complete Experiential Learning Application and Orientation in CareerBuzz (My Quicklinks > “SET APPLICANT TYPE/Submit Experiential Learning Application”). Once we verify that you have completed the mandatory orientation, you will be permitted to move forward with the Experiential Learning Placement form.
- Obtain a written offer letter from your prospective co-op/internship employer. Be sure it includes the dates you will work, the address where you will actually work, and contact information. Download Sample Offer Letter (Adobe PDF file)
- Obtain a signed approval from your department using the advisor approval form. To access the advisor approval DocuSign form, please follow these instructions (Adobe PDF file).
- Upload BOTH the offer letter and advisor approval form in CareerBuzz (My Quicklinks > “Submit/Edit Co-op or Internship Placement” > “Add New Experience”). Applications in CareerBuzz will not be approved without both forms.
- Complete a new placement form on CareerBuzz before EACH semester’s work term
We are committed to reviewing your internship placement in CareerBuzz. Please make sure that you have correctly completed the steps above. The review process takes place during Phase I and Phase II of each semester, similar to all other course registration. Should we have any questions or concerns about your placement, you will receive information through CareerBuzz.
At the time that your Graduate Internship is approved, the Graduate Internship program submits your information to the Office of International Education (OIE) to start the process for CPT/OPT approval.
- OIE requires 5 business days to process CPT requests
- OIE will send you an e-mail when your updated I-20 is ready
- You must have your updated I-20 before starting work
For more information, please see International Authorization (CPT/OPT) page.
Email: E-mail Christina Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Include GTID with all e-mail requests.