GRADUATE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
All Georgia Tech graduate students are eligible and encouraged to register for the Graduate Internship Program.
- Good academic standing
- Have completed one academic semester
- Have at least one semester remaining before graduation
- Internship experience must be related to the program of study and be approved by the graduate program
- Additional Guidelines for International Students:
- F-1 visa holders must complete two semesters (Fall and Spring) before interning at the graduate level.
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders must have work authorization approved by the Office of International Education
Dates and work term requirements:
|Spring 2020||Summer 2020||Fall 2020|
|4 pm, January 3, 2020||
4 pm, May 22, 2020
(For Summer 2020, we are allowing students to submit placement forms up until July 10th, 2020. Please complete the process, and contact Dr. Clarence Anthony Jr. when you have completed the process that is outlined below.)
|4 pm, August 21, 2020|
Length of Work Term
|14 weeks minimum||
Allowed for Summer 2020 with written documentation (an offer letter or screenshot of an email) from employer:
5 weeks minimum*
Please also confirm in the experiential learning form if your Summer 2020 internship will be remote/virtual.
10 weeks minimum (due to changes in internships caused by COVID-19).
Please also confirm in the experiential learning form if your Fall 2020 internship will be remote/virtual.
Earliest Start Date
|December 16, 2019||May 4, 2020||August 3, 2020|
Latest End Date*
May 1, 2020 (Students who are graduating Spring semester)
July 31, 2020 (Students who are graduating in Summer semester)
December 12, 2020 (Students who are graduating Fall semester)
|Full-time work||32‒40 hours per week|
6‒31 hours per week (Visa-holders must maintain 12 hours of enrollment during fall and spring semesters)
How to Submit a Request to Approve your Graduate Internship for Registration:
- Complete Experiential Learning Application and Orientation in CareerBuzz (My Quicklinks > “SET APPLICANT TYPE/Submit Experiential Learning Application”). Once we verify that you have completed the mandatory orientation, you will be permitted to move forward with the Experiential Learning Placement form.
- Obtain a written offer letter from your prospective co-op/internship employer. Be sure it includes the dates you will work, the address where you will actually work, and contact information. Download Sample Offer Letter (Adobe PDF file)
- Obtain a signed approval from your department using the advisor approval form. To access the advisor approval DocuSign form, please follow these instructions (Adobe PDF file).
- Upload BOTH the offer letter and advisor approval form in CareerBuzz (My Quicklinks > “Submit/Edit Co-op or Internship Placement” > “Add New Experience”). Applications in CareerBuzz will not be approved without both forms.
- Complete a new placement form on CareerBuzz before EACH semester’s work term
We are comitted to reviewing your internship placement in CareerBuzz within 5 business days that it was submitted. Should we have any questions or concerns about your placement, you will receive information through CareerBuzz.
At the time that your Graduate Internship is approved, the Graduate Internship program submits your information to the Office of International Education (OIE) to start the process for CPT/OPT approval.
- OIE requires 5 business days to process CPT requests
- OIE will send you an e-mail when your updated I-20 is ready
- You must have your updated I-20 before starting work
For more information, please see International Authorization (CPT/OPT) page.