The Xperience Startup Internship Fund provides financial support to currently enrolled students taking unpaid internships with startup companies. The program will provide support to both students and startups by:
- Expanding access and the diversity of internship opportunities for Georgia Tech students
- Allowing students to explore and gain entrepreneurial learning experiences
- Providing startups with talent that contributes to their growth
Georgia Tech students interested in Summer 2024 internships are encouraged to attend the Startup Student Connection on February 20, 2024 to connect with startup companies and explore the opportunities they have available.
“As an aspiring entrepreneur, working for an early-stage startup was the optimal experience. While working at Matmerize, I learned how a startup is appropriately managed and was able to wear many hats: generating leads, assisting in project management, and leading a marketing campaign, for instance. And, most importantly, I worked very closely with brilliant people, from fellow interns to the co-founders themselves. I am very thankful to the Xperience Startup Internship Fund for providing me with this life-changing opportunity.”
“My Summer 2022 Xperience Startup Internship was with Casi, and the internship was hybrid. Remote days mostly consisted of team meetings to update progress as well as one-on-one meetings to work on tasks using pair programming. In-person days were at the office located in the Accenture building at Tech Square. Overall, I really valued my internship experience, especially since it can be hard otherwise to find an internship as a first-year student. Communication between the team was great, and I was able to learn and grow while doing projects to help the company succeed.”
“I enjoyed a splendid time this summer working for Atheraxon under the guidance of Brian Arnberger and Jimmy Hester. The experience provided me with what I was exactly looking for: the intersection between research and commercialization. During the internship, I was able to speak with investors, engineers, and C-level executives which to me was a great exposure to the real world. I also enjoyed a wide variety of challenging tasks from conducting scientific literature reviews to performing financial modeling using advanced tools in Excel.”
44465 Georgia Tech students interested in Summer 2024 internships with startups are strongly encouraged to participate in the Startup Student Connection on February 20, 4:30 PM – 7: 30 PM hosted at the Atlanta Tech Village.
IMPORTANT TIMELINES FOR SUMMER 2024:
- Apply for Xperience Startup Internship position in CareerBuzz March 4– March 29, 2024
- Interviews for selected candidates March 18 – April 5, 2024
- Hiring decisions will be made by April 15, 2024
- Internship experience time frame is 8 weeks between May 6 – August 16, 2024
Startup companies identified as part of the Xperience Startup Internship Fund will receive funding to hire Georgia Tech students for their Summer 2024 internship position(s). Undergraduate students applying with the Xperience Startup Internship Fund companies will have to meet the following:
- Available to Georgia Tech students from second year through first-semester seniors and graduate students
- Currently enrolled in good standing and a minimum of 2.5 GPA at Georgia Tech
- Internship has to be major related
- Student must receive an offer from the start-up company to benefit from the Xperience Startup Internship Fund
- International students on F-1 visa must comply with Georgia Tech’s guidelines for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) as outlined by the Office of International Education (OIE).
Students in their final semester are not eligible for post-graduation experiential education (internship) funding. Transient and non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for experiential education (internship) funding.
NOTE: Students may not complete other summer programs concurrently with their internship experience.
Award amount of $6,080 (minus taxes and other federal & state required contributions) will be based on 40 hours worked x 8 weeks and will be paid out by the hiring companies.
Georgia Tech students apply to the opportunities provided by the startup companies participating in the Xperience Startup Internship Fund through CareerBuzz. Available startup positions are posted in CareerBuzz, apply between March 4 – March 29, 2024.
1. Login to CareerBuzz
2. Click on the “Employer” link
3. In the keyword search, enter Xperience Startup Internship Fund
4. From the search results, click on company of interest
5. Click on “Available Jobs” tab to view position(s) and apply
Selected students will be notified and invited to sign-up for an interview time slot with the startup company. Companies will complete interviews and make an offer to the student(s)
FUND RECIPIENT EXPECTATIONS:
Georgia Tech students who receive the Xperience Startup Fund will be enrolled in the Career Center’s INTN 2000/4000 audit course and will be required to fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete the Internship Placement form in CareerBuzz once the offer is received
- Complete the goals and learning objectives form
- Complete the mid-term check-in
- Complete the end of term self-evaluation
- Provide a written and video testimonial of their internship experience
- Recipients must complete the number of hours indicated in the placement form. Failure to do so will result in the repayment of the fund.
- Participate in a student panel to share lessons learned and benefits of the experiential education
- Recipients must write a thank you letter to the fund donors upon the conclusion of the experience (to be forwarded to the donor)
All expectations above are required and are conditions of the funding. Failure to comply with expectations will result in the repayment of the funds.
The Xperience Internship Fund interns are required to immediately notify the Career Center of any changes in their summer experience plans.
Past participating companies – Summer 2023:
Past participating companies – Summer 2022:
The startup companies participating in the Summer 2024 Xperience Startup Internship Fund will receive funds to hire one full-time (40 hours/week) intern for 8 weeks for Summer 2024 between May 6– August 16, 2024. The hiring dates are flexible as long as they occur in the time frame provided.
Please complete PROGRAM APPLICATION for consideration by March 8, 2024.
COMPANY ELIGIBILITY AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Established startup company (received seed funding/1st round funding)
- Provide Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Registration with Georgia Tech as a vendor
- Completion of E-Verify
- Registration for an employer account in CareerBuzz
- Experience provided must be 8 weeks in the Summer for 40-hours/week
- Supervision from a professional in the organization
- Completion of student evaluation at the end of the term
- In-person and remote opportunities are both eligible for funding
- The internship experience must be relevant to students’ majors(s)
- Funding provided is assigned in totality to the student(s) hired
HIRING STARTUP COMPANIES EXPECTATIONS:
- Compliance with our program expectations
- Posting and interviewing for candidates through the Career Center
- Startup companies are responsible for selecting and hiring their student intern
- Complying with the requirements and hiring timelines of the Xperience Startup Fund (to be determined each semester)
Important timelines for Summer 2024:
- Complete Program Application Form by March 8, 2024
- Register and post position in CareerBuzz by March 17, 2024
- Conduct candidate interviews March 18 – April 5, 2024
- Complete GT Vendor Registration and E-Verify by March 29, 2024
- Make hiring decision and provide student offer by April 15, 2024
- Provide a quote for total funding amount before or by April 19, 2024
- Students’ internship experience (8 weeks) between May 6 – August 16, 2024
Georgia Tech maximizes employment, co-op, and internship opportunities for its students by offering a range of services to facilitate the recruitment of prospective candidates. These services include but are not limited to full-time job/co-op/internship postings, on-campus recruiting, career fairs, and information sessions. Georgia Tech requires that any employer using these services abide by all applicable federal, state, and local employment laws.
Employers are encouraged to consult with their legal counsel and establish legally permissible internal screening procedures before posting jobs or recruiting at Georgia Tech. The Department of Justice “prohibits any posting that requires U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the U.S. as a condition of employment, unless otherwise required in order to comply with law, regulation, executive order, or government contract.” You may find additional information about this regulation at the Department of Justice’s website: https://www.justice.gov/crt/employer-information.