Undergraduate FAQs

Question: Why am I getting an ‘Applicant Type’ error when I attempt to apply to a job in CareerBuzz?


The reason that you are unable to apply to co-op and internship opportunities OR submit your placement information is because you have not yet submitted your Experiential Learning application in CareerBuzz.

To do that, simply click on the SET APPLICANT TYPE/Submit Exp. Learning Application link under the Resources >> My Quicklinks section of your CareerBuzz homepage (main vertical toolbar on the left side of your browser window).

Once you have submitted your application and it has been reviewed and approved, then you will be able to apply to all co-op and internship postings in which you are eligible AND submit your placement(s).

Question: Do I receive academic credit for my Internship/Co-op?


Interns and co-ops must complete all curriculum requirements for their major. During full-time work terms, students register for a twelve-hour audit course to maintain full-time status. As a result, each work term appears on the student’s transcript. The audited internship or co-op course does not count toward the academic credits required for a degree. The same is true for the audit credit students take when they register for either a part-time or full-time internship courses.

Question: Can companies host off-campus recruiting events?


While organizations may elect to organize off-campus information sessions or networking events, we would caution you to observe the guidelines set forth by the Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and our Stamps Health Services regarding social distancing and any state/local mandates regarding safety measures.   If you feel uncomfortable attending an in-person recruiting event, please let the employer know or contact our office for assistance in navigating the conversation with the employer.

Question: What should I do if I have concerns regarding my health and possible exposure to Coronavirus at my co-op/internship?


Your health is a PRIORITY.  Initiate a conversation with your employer to discuss your concerns.  Prepare for the conversation, outline your concerns, and give them the opportunity to address those concerns.  Inquire about the possibility of working remotely to achieve the desired scope of work.  If remote work isn’t possible with your employer, explore if the internship/co-op could be postponed for a future semester.  Before agreeing to a new work term, please consult with your career advisor.  If you feel that you need an additional advocate, our office is happy to reach out to employers as well.  Email careercenter@gatech.edu and we will be in touch to gather additional information and discuss next steps.

Question: I am an international student currently working on a CPT, who should I contact if my current internship/co-op is being impacted?


For any changes in your internship/co-op status that will impact your CPT status please contact the Office of International Education at info@oie.gatech.edu.

Question: If I have any questions regarding my internship and co-op registration who can I contact?


For any questions regarding registration of your co-op or internship please email:

Undergraduate Students: ug.coop-intern.registration@lists.gatech.edu

Master’s and Ph.D. students: Christina Hall at christina.hall@gatech.edu

Question: I received a grade of “V” for my Internship/Co-op course; What does that mean?


The “V” on transcripts for Internship and Co-op work assignments is the standard satisfactory grade awarded for any non-fee based audit course at Georgia Tech.  Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory and Pass/Fail grades are reserved for academic credit bearing classes that require tuition.

Question: Who do I contact if I want a Global Internship experience?


Internships outside the United States are eligible for credit as Internship or Co-op assignments through the Office of International Education’s (OIE) Global Research & Internship Program.

Question: Can I work part-time as a Co-op or Intern?


Students who are employed as interns can work part-time or full-time, however, co-op students are required to work full-time.

Question: Can International Students participate in the Co-op and Internship Programs?


Yes, see “International Authorization” for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email