Graduate Co-op Departmental Approval Letter (MS Word document)
APPLYING FOR GRADUATE CO-OP/INTERNSHIPS SUMMER & FALL 2017
Graduate internships can be approved for full-time or part-time positions related to your major. Once approved, students will receive a permit to enroll in a no-fee/no-tuition based Grad Co-op audit course. COOP 6012 is assigned to all grad co-ops working full-time. Part-time graduate co-op courses are available for three, six, or nine audit hours and relate to the number of hours you work each week. For more than two consecutive semesters, special approval must be received from the associate vice provost for graduate education and faculty development.
To register your internship as a grad co-op work assignment:
1) “Submit/Update Your Exp. Learning Application” on CareerBuzz HERE
2) Provide a written offer letter from your prospective co-op/internship employer. Be sure it includes the dates you will work, the address where you will actually work, and contact information (or provide these details in a separate e-mail).
3) Obtain a signed approval from your academic adviser approving you for full-time or part-time graduate co-op/internship. Doctoral students also need approval from their faculty adviser.
4) Upload these documents into CareerBuzz. On the CareerBuzz home page, click "Submit/Edit a Co-op/Internship Placement" then "Add New" to create a record of your internship. At the bottom, you will add your scanned documents "Offer letter" and "Approval." Once complete, visit me or e-mail me to complete paperwork for your registration.
5) Register in the tuition-free, no fee audit course during open registration periods. The 12 audit hour course maintains your full-time student status and guarantees you maintain library privileges, etc. Your permit, once I issue it, will be for COOP 6012.
6) If you are on an F-1 visa and require CPT, this will be requested when these other steps are completed. The Office of International Education (OIE) requires 5 business days to process and will send you an e-mail when a new page 3 for your I-20 is ready.
Summer and fall dates and deadlines: The grad co-op course requires students to work a minimum of 10 weeks for the SUMMER semester or 15 weeks for the FALL. Work dates may start as early as May 8th, 2017 ending as late as August 4, 2017 for SUMMER and as early as August 7, 2017 ending as late as December 15, 2017 for FALL. The last date to submit documents and register for a SUMMER internship is May 5, 2017 and August 18, 2017 for FALL.
I look forward to helping you with your internship,
Contact: 404-894-1351 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Grad Career Advisement: For internships and Grad Co-op advisement, students can schedule a meeting with grad co-op advisor Ken Little or Robbie Ouzts via CareerBuzz. For full service graduate level career counseling, schedule an appointment with Robbie Ouzts.
Grad Co-op Office Hours: The Grad Co-op Office is available for scheduled appointments weekday afternoons between 1:30 – 4:00 p.m. Walk-ins are available Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 2:00 - 4:00pm.
Grad Co-op Office Location: Located in the Center for Career Discovery and Development on the first floor of the Bill Moore Student Success Center, next to the Tech Tower.
SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT WITH A GRAD CO-OP ADVISOR USING CAREERBUZZ
(Your User ID is the first portion of your GT email address, a default password will be emailed if you click “Forgot password”). After logging in, you can change your password to something you like.
- Click “Calendar” Tab
- Click on the “Counseling Appointment” Tab
- Select a date to meet with your advisor
- Double click in the calendar space and select an available time slot
- Select Advisor and meeting time
- Check email for approval (must schedule at least 4 hours in advance)