Congratulations! You’ve gotten a co-op or internship offer! What is the next step?
Carefully consider any offers you receive prior to accepting one. Once you accept an offer in any way, including verbally, the Career Center will expect you to honor your commitment. If you need more information before accepting, ask the employer further questions and talk over the offer with your career development advisor. Be aware of deadlines that employers may give you for accepting an offer. You will need a written offer letter from the company prior to registering your co-op or internship with Georgia Tech.
Please join us at the following upcoming Q&A Undergraduate Co-op and Internship Registration online sessions, if you have any questions regarding the co-op & internship registration process:
Steps to register your co-op or internship:
- Complete the Experiential Learning Application (if already completed, please follow directions in Step 2.)
- Login to CareerBuzz
- From the menu on the left side of the Home page select “Resources”
- Under "My Quicklinks" select "SET APPLICANT TYPE/Submit Experiential Learning Application"
- Once your Experiential Learning application is approved, please follow the directions in Step 2 (allow 24 hours for approval).
- Enter placement info in CareerBuzz:
- Login to CareerBuzz
- From the menu on the left side of the Home page select “Experiential Learning”
- Click on “Add New”
- Watch the embedded Experiential Learning video
- Complete the placement form available after you watch the video and then Submit
- Attach to completed placement form:
- Offer letter (Must include start/end dates of co-op or internship, the total number of work hours/week, and exact address of work site)
- International students (Must include employer’s information, as well as start and end date of work term). Important additional information at:b.gatech.edu/2YTwZbL
Complete a new placement form before EACH semester’s work term.
- You are REQUIRED to watch the "Work Term Essentials" presentation (embedded in the Placement form in CareerBuzz) to have your placement information approved.
UPDATED - Co-op and Internship Course Registration Process:
- If you are currently registered for classes, you MUST reduce your course load in order to be automatically registered for your COOP or INTN course. The maximum number of credit hours allowed for fall or spring semester is 21 and for the summer semester the maximum is 16. We cannot add your COOP or INTN course to your schedule if in doing so your schedule will exceed the maximum number of hours for the semester. Your registration will NOT be processed until you have reduced your course load. Please communicate with your Career Center advisor to discuss your options if you have any questions.
- Students approved for internships and co-op courses (for audit hours) through the Career Center will be registered by the Office of the Registrar based on the scheduled dates listed below:
Weekly Registration Dates:
SPRING 2023 REGISTRATION
The Career Center will work with the Registrar’s Office to get students who have been approved for co-op and internships registered for the audit courses, UNLESS adding the course causes you to exceed the maximum number of hours permitted per semester.
Registration will begin on Monday, November 7, 2022 and continue through the end of Spring 2023 registration (Friday, January 13, 2023 @ 4p).
- International students will not be able to drop their registration in an CO-OP or INTN course, unless authorized by OIE
Special Instructions to cancel your Housing Contract during your work term: Remember you must be working 25 miles or more away from the Georgia Tech campus to cancel your housing contract without a penalty.
- Complete your Placement form in CareerBuzz following the instructions above
- Use the following link to complete the DocuSign request: https://bit.ly/3ebMEwu
- Once you receive the completed/approved cancellation form through DocuSign, cancel your housing through the Starrez system and upload your signed cancellation form
Special Instructions for Co-ops or Interns with F-1 Visas
To use Optional Practical Training (OPT)* students must attend an OPT session hosted by the Office of International Education (OIE) before applying for OPT. Session information can be found at HERE.
*Turn-around time is typically up to four months for OPT. Check with OIE for exact timelines. International Students on F-1 visas may only work during the summer term and must use their OPT. International students must provide their intern advisor with a copy of their EAD Card BEFORE beginning their internship.
CPT authorization can begin prior to the start of the term and end the Friday before classes start.
All CPT requests must be submitted via iStart by the Career Center no later than 12:00pm the Friday before classes begin.